George Walters-Sleyon earned his PhD from the University of Edinburgh (July 2019) in Practical Theology, Comparative Criminal Justice (US and UK)/Criminology and Ethics (Christian and Social). He also has a Master of Divinity (MDiv) and postgraduate Masters in Sacred Theology (S.T.M.) in Divinity, Philosophy, Theology/Religion, Social Ethics, and Christian Ministry from Boston University. Dr. Walters earned his BA from Central University College in Accra/Ghana in Theology and Administration. He served as a Tutor at the School of Law for two courses: Introduction to Criminal Justice and Introduction to Criminology, and the School of Divinity at the University of Edinburgh from 2016-2018. Dr. Walters is presently an Adjunct Professor at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston where he teaches Philosophy and Applied Ethics.
Dr. Walters was recently selected a McDonald Distinguished Fellow at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University (2019). This internationally recognized center seeks to promote and produce “innovative research and scholarship, exemplary teaching and training, robust public engagement and generous support of individual faculty initiatives at the intersection of law and religion.”
Dr. Walters is the founder of the Center for Church and Prison, Inc.-a resource and research center studying the intersection between religion, penal policies and the penal systems of the United States and the United Kingdom towards strategic intervention and solution development. He possesses an interdisciplinary and international academic background. Dr. Walters provides services as a Teacher, Speaker, Educator, Policy Analyst, Social Ethicist, Theologian, Researcher/resource developer, Academic/leadership Coach.
Besides his academic interest, Dr. Walters is also a singer/songwriter, recording artist and poet. He has released three albums of gospel songs: “I Believe” and “Hold On You Will Survive.” One of his songs, “God’s Been Good to Me” was nominated Gospel Single of the Year in 2004. His recent (2019) album of two songs: “Beyond the Blues” is a soulful expression of victory over despair (2019). He is presently working on his first publication of a book of poetic expressions entitled: “Nuggets From the Night.” Dr. Walters is married with two boys.
Walters-Sleyon, G., Locked Up and Locked Down: Multitude Lingers in Limbo-Revised Edition, U.S.A: Lulu, 2013.
Walters-Sleyon, G., Studies on Religion and Recidivism: Focus on Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan
Missions: Centrifugal or Centripetal in The Expository Times Volume 129 Number 1. A review of Gordon L. Snider, The Use of Old Testament in a Wesleyan Theology of Mission (Cambridge: James Clark and Co, 2016. pp. ix + 310. ISBN:978-0-227-17602-3).
The Scottish Prison Service: Conference on: From Vision to Reality-Transforming Scotland’s Care of Women in Custody International Conference Report. May 2015
- Promote Justice: Race, Criminology and Restorative Justice. Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries’ Values over Violence Institute. Boston/MA: June 2019
- Prison Chaplains on the Beat: Caring for Ageing, Dying and Dead Prisoners in US and UK Prisons. The British Society of Criminology Conference: Birmingham City University, Birmingham/U.K.: July 2018
- Mass Incarceration and Death in US and UK Prisons: A Theological Situation. The Society for the Study of Christian Ethics 2018 Conference: St. John’s College, Durham/ U.K.: Sept. 2018.
- Prison Chaplaincy in the Era of Mass Incarceration. The Correctional Ministries and Chaplains Association Summit: Wheaton College, Illinois, USA. : June 2018.
- Race, Mass Incarceration and Theology in UK Prisons: A Theological Dialogue on Punishment and Imprisonment. The Society for the Study of Theology Conference: University of Nottingham, Nottingham/UK. : April 2018
- Race and the School-to-Prison Pipeline in the United States. Centre for Education and Racial Equality International Conf.: Morey House School of Education: Univ. of Edinburgh: 2015
- National Cathedral Conference on Reentry: Washington DC,
- 2013 Reform Conference: The Drug Policy Alliance: Denver/Colorado.
- State of Black Boston-Criminal Justice Panel– Urban League 2011 Conference, Boston.
- Harvard University, School of Divinity- Restorative Justice and Faith-2011 Conference, Boston.
- Race, Terrorism, and Theology. Special Church History Lecture to Commemorate Black History Month, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh: October 2017
- A DuBoisian Perspective in Socio-Ethnographic Research in Practical Theology. Theology and Ethics Seminar, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh: November 2017
- Race, Racism and Theology: From the Enlightenment to the Contemporary- the 1620s-2016: A Synopsis. History of Christianity Research Seminar, School of Divinity University of Edinburgh: October 2016
- George Walters-Sleyon PhD: Linkedin
- George Walters-Sleyon PhD & Publication: Academia.edu
- The Center for Church and Prison, Inc.
- American Society of Criminology 2019-Present
- American Academy of Religion 2018-Present
- British Society of Criminology 2018-Present
- Society for the Study of Theology 2017-Present
- Society for the Study of Christian Ethics 2017-Present
- Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice Research 2015-Present
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) 2010-Present
- American Association of Blacks in Higher Education 20`19-Present